14.4.08

On a dander last night...


St. Lurach's, Maghera
Originally uploaded by Cyber_Scribe
I walked past St Lurach's Church in Maghera. Being an inquisitive soul , I've Googled and found out that St Lurach’s graveyard was home to a Cathedral during the 12th and 13th century before it was moved to L/Derry. It’s believed that there was a church founded here in the 6th Century by Saint Lurach which was in use until 1819 when the new Church of Ireland was built just across the road. Some of the the ruins date back to the early Christian period and others, such as the tower, date to the 17th or 18th Century. Sadly there's not a lot of info about St Lurach himself, or if the place is haunted. I'll pick an evening on a Friday the 13th to visit the graveyard.I'll bring my camera to record anything strange I see.

No comments: